- Employment, training & education
- Housing & local facilities
- Income and financial inclusion
- Physical health
- Mental health & wellbeing
- Family, friends & relationships
- Citizenship & community
- Arts, heritage, sports & faith
- Conservation of the natural environment
Areas of expertise:
- Developing impact plans
- Performance management
- Data management & analysis
- Developing new products and services
- Culture change
- Leadership development
- Programme design / theory of change facilitation
Social Enterprise Acumen CIC (SEA) was established in 2012 by Kate Welch OBE DL FRSA to create real change in communities and empower people to develop enterprising solutions to meet social and economic challenges. Social Enterprise Acument is a specialist provider of social enterprise and community business support, bringing together a core team and associate consultants with exceptional experience of inspiring social entrepreneurs and delivering enterprise and place-based capacity building programmes.
The main areas of business are to:
1. Inspire, engage and support early stage social entrepreneurs to plan, start and develop their social enterprises
2. Work with organisations that want to be more socially enterprising to increase their income generation through trading and increase their social impact
3. Improve the ecosystem of support for social enterprises in the North East of England
4. Work with partners to develop social enterprise solutions to address need and market gaps
Our services include training, coaching, business advice, consultancy, investment readiness support and social impact measurement. We also run the North East Social Entrepreneurs Network, the North East Community Business Club and the North East Social Enterprise Festival which showcases and celebrates the regions social enterprise sector. We also lead on the Social Enterprise UK Social Enterprise Places programme for Durham.
We have substantial experience of supporting social enterprises and community businesses gained from contracts including; National Offender Management Service ESF co-financed programme (2012-2015) developing the capacity of community businesses to win public sector contracts, UnLtd as a delivery partner on, Lead the Change, Do it for Real and Spaces for Change from 2013-2017, Social Entrepreneur in residence at Teesside University (2013-2015) and delivering investment readiness support as an improved provider for the Impact Readiness Fund in 2015/2016 and Big Potential from 2015.
Current commissions include; The Office of the Policy and Crime Commissioner (County Durham & Darlington) to build upon the sustainability and capacity of small, community organsations so that they can continue to support victims of crime in their local communities as well as researching and developing measures for the social impact of that work. We are also delivering support for Sunderland City Council to help community organisations take on the running of the library buildings as asset transfers, developing financially sustainable community businesses whilst maintaining a library offer.